Tutorials, Random Fun, Recipes, Vegan Recipes, Daily Tips and Tricks

Friday 18 May 2012

Blindspot



4/5 Stars
Bindspot
By Nancy Bush
Zebra (July 1/2010)
Genre: suspense








A free suspense novel offered at Kobo by Nancy Bush. I must say I'm a sucker for 'best selling' author which was exactly what was plastered across the cover of this book. I hadn't heard of her, but then again I haven't heard of the vast maority of authors pumping out books these days. It looked good, she had to be doing something right to get the recognition, and so the "add to my library" button was promptly pushed by moi. 

The writing was well done, the character's were well developed even if most of them weren't likeable. I enjoyed the pace, but the book was a lot longer than I expected it to be (about 750 on my kobo) so be prepared to devote some time to this. I enjoyed reading it and it definitely had an interesting premise and a good twist at the end; but I did find it a bit predictable at times. She definitely did her research on mental disorders and though there was a pinch of fantasy, everything was pretty believable. Though at some parts I was getting annoid with Tasha's inability to make a good decision. You're left scratching your head wondering, why is she doing this? But by the end of the book you sort of get clued into her thought process; I still felt myself questioning even knowing more about her though...

The story follows around a series of characters: Dr Claire Norris (the heroine), Langdon Stone (a detective), Tasha (a catotonic pregnant girl), and the crazed person who tried to steal Tasha's baby. The book opens with Tasha and Rafe (the baby daddy) on the run. When they stop at a gas station to fill up and 'drain their tanks' the young couple is attacked, luckily a trucker interveins but it's too late for Rafe. The young girl lapses into a coma and is taken to the hospital. Dr Claire Norris (a psychologist) wants to take charge of the patient expecting her to have mental anguish due to the attack, she wants to be the doctor there when prego wakes up. Unfortuately Claire is superseeded by an arrogant staff member who cares more about the patients notoriety than her well being. Ex Detective Langdon Stone interested is piqued by the attack of the young couple and he agrees with his old partner's request to look into the case. It is the first case to interested him since 'the incident' with his sister. Stone is unaware that the girl has been tranfered into the care of Halo Valley Mental Hospital where Dr Norris works; their paths had previously becomed intertwined but far from in a good way. Now Claire is forced to deal an disgruntled detective, untrusting co-workers, an imenant confrontation with a patient she fears, and a catotonic prego -who can't tell who she is or who attacked her- all while the attacker circles closer and closer.

Would I recommend this book? Sure, it's a long read, but it's still good. If you like a thriller with mental disorders, pregnant teens, and a cult-like grouping of strange and mysterious women with a dash of romance this is a book for you! Would I read another one of her books? I probably would. If I was running low on material and spotted her name on a cover I'd most likely pick it up and give it a go.

Link to Kobo book: http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Blind-Spot/book-rHnEKf3QhU6kNFptjXWx6w/page1.html?s=1LRGN8wy4E-gS0or7Zx3pg&r=6

Not free for Kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment