Tutorials, Random Fun, Recipes, Vegan Recipes, Daily Tips and Tricks

Friday 25 May 2012

Inhuman



3/5 Stars
Inhuman
By Danielle Q Lee
Self Published? (August 4th, 2010)
Genre: Sci-Fi, Adventure 









A free novel on kobo written by Danielle Q. Lee - is anyone else wondering what the Q is??- about a young women's horrible journey of self discovery.

Cassia is a archaeologist student struggling to make the last few hundred for her tuition, so she does the only logical thing for college students to do; volunteers to be a paid guinea pig!  For $250 a pop, why not?  She get's blood drawn for the first time, an x-ray, and the poor girl even subjects herself to a mammogram all in the name of her tuition! Shortly after beginning her tests she is greeted by a handsome Hawaiian stranger, and spends a few days developing a romantic relationship with him.  With the date for the tuition looming, she can no longer put off not paying it.  Back to the lab she goes, except this time everyone is not so friendly, actually they're rather fearful and awkward, hmmmm. Undeterred by this Cassia continues to her designated room for her next torture/test session, but instead of being welcomed by lab students there are several dangerous looking men in black suits.  This is of course, you guessed it, is when sh** hits the fan.  They probe her with unrelenting questions of where she is from/born, until they determine she is not going to co-operate.  They then drug her and transport her to a military compound, and it is here that she learns the disturbing truth about herself. She is not human.

I am sort of on the fence about this book.  I didn't hate it, but I didn't exactly love it either.  While the writing was good, I was left with a feeling of 'meh' when I was finished.  There really is nothing special about Cassia aside from some screwed up looking DNA and a strange star shaped birthmark right smack in between her boobies.  This definitely is not a feel good book, there are a lot of horrible things Cassia is subjected to once she becomes detained.  There was also a lot of alluding of things to come at the end of the chapters "little did she know" type stuff, I felt that this happened several times and that it made the writing seem amateurish-to me anyway.

Daniella did however paint some very nice word pictures. I highlighted some of the writing that I thought was phrased beautifully, and then I removed the book from my Kobo before I copied it off! I know, I'm soooo smart.  So please forgive me in my lapse of good judgement.

Though, I suppose this really isn't my favourite genre, it may be possible I'm being biased, but the book didn't really do much for me. I say, it's OK, and it's up to your discretion whether or not this sounds good.  It's not a bad story, it just isn't for me.  I must admit the except at the end for another novel 'Nightmara', looked worth being looked into, so I might give the author another go.

Available on Kobo: http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Inhuman/book-8_-7iZ-WPEy0W5ZOjJkT5Q/page1.html?s=1T40BNH6qEWhh_G3kAtS7Q&r=1

Not free for Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Inhuman-ebook/dp/B003UV8ONQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1337971637&sr=8-6

No comments:

Post a Comment