Tutorials, Random Fun, Recipes, Vegan Recipes, Daily Tips and Tricks

Friday 8 June 2012

Dangerous Angels (Weetzie Bat) : Book Review



1/5 Stars - Uncompleted
Dangerous Angels
Compilation of Weetzie Bat Series
By Francesca Lia Block
Harperteen (June 2009)
Genre: YA Modern Fairy Tale? 









I picked up these series of books for free off of Kobo. From the reviews and short synopsis it looked interesting, and worth a read. After about 30 pages I had to put it down. The story line was ridiculous, and I don't know how to describe the style it was written in, it was almost like point form. Everything seemed clipped from the dialogue to the story; there really was no describing for the characters or the world around them. It was like reading the bones of the story with no meat, and I felt like I couldn't connect to the character's. From what I read the story goes as follows:

Weetzie (a strange girl that makes her own outfits) meets a good looking guy at school (or 'duck' as she calls them???). They become friends hang out, go clubbing, and she finds out he's gay -which is fine. She meets his grandma (who he lives with), and Weetzie likes the grandma, and one day the grandmother gives her a gold relic. Weetzie polishes it and out pops a genie, she tries wishing for world peace and endless wishes -which is a bust- so she tries a different tatic. Instead she wishes for a cottage for her and her gay friend to live and that her gay friend(I don't mean to keep calling him the gay friend it's just I was so uninvolved in the story I can't remember his name! Maybe it was Dirk?) have a man or 'duck' and she has a 'Super spy lover man' (something like that). So in the next two chapter's the grandmother dies and they inheret the cottage (not what she has in mind and nobody seemed that sad about it???) and her gay friend meets a surfer NAMED DUCK, and they get involved and he moves in. A couple months later whilst Weetzie is working at a Cafe she meets a man named Super spy lover man (yes that is his name :|). After that I couldn't bring myself to read anymore. Most of the reviewer's found it uplifting in someway, maybe if I were able to get by the strange writing style it would have been good. But as far as Weetzie Bat goes, I would not recommend.

Find it here if you are interested on Kobo (no longer free): http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Dangerous-Angels-The-Weetzie-Bat/book-bPbAaqIhM0yX2Afbr2P3Jg/page1.html?s=GdE9-4pLu0mc1xiGKdg9hA&r=1

No comments:

Post a Comment